Part of the Problem
The smell of burnt copper and damp limestone always meant we
were close to the lower shafts.
Down here, beneath the sprawl of the district known as the
Sink, the air didn’t move. It sat in your lungs like wet wool. My boots made a
wet, heavy thwack against the duckboards as I tracked Tyson by the flickering
orange glow of his lantern. He was twenty paces ahead, his broad shoulders
squared against the damp, carrying the heavy drill-rig strapped across his back
like an iron crucifix.
“Watch the bulkhead,” Tyson called back, his voice flat,
stripped of all warmth by three days of hard digging through gray slate. “The
pin’s rusted out. If you lean on it, the whole drainage pipe comes down on your
head.”
“I see it,” I muttered, ducking under the weeping iron
joint.
We weren’t down in the Sink for minerals. We were here for
the valves—the main hydraulic regulators that kept the district’s upper
terraces from sliding into the marsh. For twenty years, the city council had
promised a complete overhaul of the drainage lines. For twenty years, they had
spent the budget on decorative lighting for the grand concourses while the
foundation timbers here rotted through to the marrow.
My tablet was tucked into my chest pocket, its screen dark
to conserve the last third of its battery. On it were the survey reports I’d
spent forty-eight hours compiling: water-flow volumes, steel-fatigue ratings,
load-bearing calculus from the municipal archives dating back to the Great
Settlement.
Tyson stopped by a junction box, setting the drill down with
a dull, echoing clank. He wiped his brow with the back of a grease-stained
forearm, leaving a dark smudge across his forehead that made him look like an
angry miner from a nineteenth-century print.
“Well?” he asked, not turning around. “Did you send the
brief to the Council oversight committee?”
“Sent it this morning,” I said, leaning against a cold brick
pier. “Copied the district delegates too. Lois, Waylon, and the new guy from
the west ward—Barrett.”
Tyson let out a short, wet laugh. “Barrett. That piece of
work. Did he write back with his usual essay?”
“Not an essay. Three lines.” I pulled the tablet out,
thumbing the screen to life. The blue light washed out the hollows of my
cheeks. “He said: ‘Have you looked up the facts, Barrett? The water pressure is
seasonal.’”
Tyson shook his head, spitting a stream of gray phlegm onto
the duckboards. “Seasonal. Right. Tell that to the people whose cellars filled
up with six feet of raw sewage last November.”
“I told him,” I said, my thumb scrolling down the thread. “I
sent him the actual telemetry from Station Four. Flow rates up two hundred
percent since the timber mills cleared the upper ridge. I gave him the figures
from the Corps of Engineers.”
“And?” Tyson’s eyes narrowed in the lantern light. He
already knew the answer. We’d had this conversation on a dozen different
corners, over a dozen different drafts, with a dozen different men and women
who wore the proper pins on their lapels and spoke in the rhythmic, hypnotic
cadence of the party line.
“His response,” I read aloud, my voice dropping into that
flat, monotone imitation of Barrett’s automated charm, “‘Well… oh yeah? Tyson
is a smuggler. He’s just trying to clear the old route for his black-Declanet
timber rafts.’”
Tyson stared at me for three long seconds. Then he threw his
head back and let out a dry, hacking bark of laughter that bounced off the low
brick ceiling until it died in the wet moss.
“A smuggler,” he muttered, looking down at his calloused,
grease-blackened hands. “Me. With a bad knee and three mortgages on a tool
shed.”
“It’s not funny, Declan.”
“I know it’s not funny, Logan. It’s just… predictable.” Tyson
reached down and picked up the heavy iron handle of the valve wrench. “You
thought he wanted to know why the pipes were bursting. You thought you were
having a technical argument.”
“I gave him the numbers,” I said, feeling a familiar, hot
prickle behind my eyes—not of sadness, but of that cold, crystalline anger that
comes from hitting a brick wall made of smoke. “The numbers don’t care about
his party. They don’t care about my party. They’re just numbers. Steel
thickness versus weight of water.”
“At that point,” Tyson said quietly, turning the wrench
until the iron gears groaned in protest, “you realize he was never looking for
an honest answer. He was looking for a way to avoid the question.”
He was right. And that was the moment the door closed.
For months, I had tried to play the game by the old rules. I
had believed that if you just showed people the wiring diagram—if you pointed
out where the short was, where the sparks were jumping—they would say, “Ah,
yes. I see it now. Let’s fix it.”
Instead, you got the names. You got the smears. You got the
frantic, knee-jerk pivot to whatever terrifying caricature they had built of
the enemy this week. If you talk about municipal bonds, they talk about
fascists. If you talk about drainage rates, they talk about pedophiles or
traitors or foreign paymasters. It didn't matter how absurd the claim was; the
point wasn't to be accurate. The point was to make the conversation so toxic,
so loud, and so stupid that everyone just threw up their hands and walked away.
And that was their victory. Because when you walk away, the
pipes stay broken.
“We’re almost at the primary valve,” Tyson said, pointing
his light further down the tunnel where the brick gave way to jagged, hand-cut
stone from the colonial era. “The water’s pooling faster here. Look at the
seams.”
I looked. A thin, hair-like stream of gray water was hissing
out from between two blocks of granite, spraying a fine mist across the path.
“That’s the main feed from the reservoir,” I said, my
stomach tightening. “If that seal goes, the entire lower third of this tunnel
floods before the pumps can kick in.”
“And Barrett’s office is right above the main junction,” Tyson
added, a grim, humorless smile touching the corners of his mouth. “Dry as a
bone in his carpeted chambers. Sipping imported tea while he drafts another
memo about how the rising damp is just a myth invented by the opposition.”
“He’s not just being stupid,” I said, feeling the weight of
the tablet in my hand.
“No,” Tyson agreed, his muscles straining as he leaned his
full weight into the wrench. With a loud, metallic crack, the rusted valve
began to turn. “Stupid is a guy who tries to plug a leak with a corn muffin.
This isn’t stupid. This is deliberate.”
“If they wish to be stupid,” I murmured, quoting my
grandfather’s old workshop rule—a rule we used to apply to apprentices who
didn’t check their own measurements—‘that’s on them. If they wish to be
dangerous… that’s on all of us.’”
“And that,” Tyson grunted, as the valve finally gave way
with a rush of stale air, “must not go unchallenged.”
Three hours later, we were back above ground, though the
word ground didn’t mean much in the district known as the Basin.
Here, the streets were built on top of streets—three
generations of brick and asphalt piled one upon the other like geological
strata, each layer representing a different decade of political grandstanding.
The upper level—the New Terrace—was all white stone, bronze statues, and
polished brass gas lamps that still functioned even when the lower grids
failed. It was where Barrett had his office in the Municipal Hall.
We didn’t go through the front doors. Guards in crisp gray
uniforms stood there, checking identity chits and turning away anyone whose
boots were caked with Basin mud.
We used the service hoist behind the steam laundry.
It was an iron cage that smelled of hot starch and sulfur,
hoisted by a greasy chain that groaned with every foot of elevation. As we rose
past the second and third tiers, the light changed from the yellowish, greasy
haze of the lower alleys to the clear, sharp glare of the afternoon sun
reflecting off the polished marble cornices of the Council wing.
Tyson stepped out first, his heavy tool bag slung over one
shoulder like he owned the place. I followed, keeping my head down, my hand
resting on the pocket where the tablet lived.
“Remember,” Tyson whispered without turning around, “don’t
let him draw you into the mud. He wants to talk about the elections? Talk about
the pipe. He wants to talk about my granddad’s politics? Talk about the pipe.
Make it so small and so hard that he can’t swallow it.”
“Got it,” I said.
The hallway outside Barrett’s office was quiet enough to
hear the tick of a grandfather clock twenty paces away. The walls were lined
with oil portraits of past mayors—men with stern, bearded faces who looked down
at us with the universal disapproval of people who had never had to shovel wet
silt out of a basement.
Barrett’s door was made of solid mahogany with a polished
brass plate that read: Director of Public Infrastructure, Barrett Vance.
I didn’t knock. I just reached out, grabbed the brass
handle, and pushed it open.
Barrett was sitting behind a massive oak desk that looked
like it had been salvaged from a cathedral. He was wearing a dove-gray
waistcoat with silver buttons, his blonde hair parted with surgical precision.
Across from him sat two women in tailored wool suits—representatives from the
municipal water authority, no doubt here to receive their afternoon briefing on
how everything was under control.
Barrett looked up, his expression shifting smoothly from
executive concern to practiced annoyance.
“Excuse me,” Barrett said, his voice carrying that slightly
nasal, upper-district cadence that always sounded like he was trying to speak
through a mouthful of invisible marbles. “This is a closed session. If you have
a petition regarding drainage, there is a drop-box in the lower lobby—”
“We didn’t come to drop a petition, Barrett,” I said,
walking past the two women without looking at them. I dropped the heavy, wet
wrench right onto the center of his polished oak desk.
The wood crunched. A deep, white-edged scar split the
polished surface right across the grain, and a small puddle of black, oily
water from the Basin pooled neatly beside the silver inkwell.
Barrett’s face went white. One of the women gasped and
pulled her skirt back as if a rat had run across her ankles.
“What on earth—are you out of your mind?” Barrett stood up
so fast his leather chair rolled back and hit the wood-paneled wall with a dull
thud. “Guards! Security in the—!”
“There are no guards in the hallway, Barrett,” Tyson said,
leaning his bulk against the closed door, folding his arms across his chest. “I
locked the latch from the outside. They’ll be about ten minutes getting through
the pneumatic seal. Plenty of time for a chat.”
“This is criminal,” Barrett stammered, his fingers twitching
toward the silver call-bell on his desk. “You’re—you’re threatening an elected
official! I knew it. I saw your files, Tyson. I know about the black-market
shipments through the North Gate—”
“There it is,” I said softly. I pulled the tablet out of my
pocket and laid it down right next to the wet wrench, screen facing up.
On the screen was a live video feed from the sensor we had
just installed in the lower junction. It showed a torrent of dark, frothing
water hammering against a rusted iron brace that was visibly bending under the
strain. Below the video were the numbers: Flow rate 4,200 gallons per minute.
Structural integrity: 14 percent.
Barrett stared at the screen. For a fraction of a second,
his professional mask slipped, and I saw something real behind his eyes: panic.
Not political panic. The cold, ugly panic of a man who knew he had ignored a
leaking roof until the rafters started to splinter.
“That’s… that’s an old recording,” Barrett muttered, though
his voice lacked its usual crispness. “You’ve doctored the footage. Everyone
knows the Basin sensors are unreliable. They’re old models—”
“They’re digital, Barrett,” I said, stepping closer to the
desk until I could smell the expensive lavender water on his collar. “They
don’t have an agenda. They don’t vote. They don’t care about your party
platform, and they certainly don’t care about whatever imaginary crimes you
think Tyson committed in the North Gate.”
“You’re out of order,” one of the women in the wool suits
said, her voice trembling slightly as she stood up. “I am reporting this entire
department for harassment. The Director has assured us that the infrastructure
budget is balanced—”
“The budget is balanced because he didn’t spend a nickel on
the iron,” I said, turning to look her dead in the eye. “And when that junction
lets go—which will happen before the first heavy frost next month—ten million
gallons of untreated wastewater is going to flood every cellar between here and
the river. It’s going to wash out the foundations of this very building.”
I pointed a finger at Barrett’s pristine white waistcoat.
“You can call me a radical. You can call Tyson a smuggler.
You can tell your committees that we’re agents of foreign chaos, or whatever
fairy tale helps you sleep on your feather mattress. But when the water comes
up through the floorboards of this room, it’s not going to ask you what your
politics are.”
Barrett swallowed hard. His mouth opened, but for once, the
well-rehearsed talking points didn’t come. The deflection machine had jammed.
There was no one else in the room to blame, no opposing party to point a finger
at, no convenient internet rumor to hide behind. There was only the wrench, the
water on the desk, and the ticking of the grandfather clock in the corner.
“What do you want?” Barrett whispered, the arrogance finally
burned away by the cold reality of the screen.
“I don’t want your job, Barrett,” I said, picking up the wet
wrench and sliding the tablet back into my pocket. “And I certainly don’t want
your excuses.”
I leaned down until my face was inches from his.
“I want the emergency procurement order signed by five
o’clock this afternoon. I want forty tons of grade-A Swedish steel delivered to
the South Shaft by tomorrow morning. And if I hear one more word about how the
flood is a seasonal myth, Tyson and I are going to bring three buckets of that
Basin water right back up here and dump them in your lap.”
Tyson unlatched the door behind us, the heavy iron lever
clicking back into place with a clean, satisfying sound.
We didn’t wait for him to answer. We just turned and walked
out into the hallway, leaving the Director of Public Infrastructure standing in
the wreckage of his polished oak desk, staring down at a puddle of dirty water
that was slowly, steadily soaking into the grain.
As the elevator cage dropped us back down into the gloom of
the lower levels, the smell of damp limestone and burnt copper rushed back to
meet us. It wasn’t a pleasant smell. It was the smell of reality—heavy,
complicated, and entirely real.
“You think he’ll sign it?” Tyson asked, pulling a cigarette
from his pocket as the cage hit the bottom with a shudder.
“He has to,” I said, looking out through the iron bars
toward the dark, endless labyrinth of pipes and tunnels that lay beneath our
feet. “Because the water doesn’t care about his spin. And neither do we.”
Comments
Post a Comment