Aging Irresponsibly

The morning air at the Oak Creek Farmers Market smelled of damp mulch, roasting hatch chiles, and the quiet desperation of men who had been dragged out of bed at eight o’clock on a Saturday to hold canvas tote bags.

I was standing near a mountain of heirloom tomatoes, debating the financial viability of a six-dollar jar of small-batch lavender-infused honey, when the air pressure shifted. It wasn't a sudden gust of wind. It was a low, guttural sub-bass frequency that rattled the fillings in my molars and made the rosemary sprigs in a nearby basket vibrate.

Then came the fog.

Not a gentle morning mist rolling off the river, mind you. This was dense, synthetic, neon-green vapor that billowed out from behind a tent selling hand-carved wooden spoons. Several people coughed. A toddler dropped a blueberry scone.

Out from the green haze emerged a vehicle.

It was a standard Pride Mobility Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus, presumably purchased off the floor of a medical supply store in 2012. However, it had undergone what one could only describe as a total psychotic break. The front basket had been replaced with a rotting, taxidermied owl whose glass eyes caught the sunlight with a terrifying, judgmental glare. Skeletal hands—cheap plastic, spray-painted a sickly luminescent teal—clutched the handlebars like the claws of a drowning gargoyle. Strands of faux cobweb hung from the armrests, catching stray bits of dandelion fluff.

And at the helm was a woman who could only be described as an apex predator of the golden years.

She wore a faded Harley-Davidson bandanna tied over a cloud of purple-tinted hair, mirrored aviator sunglasses that reflected a distorted, fish-eye view of the artisanal cheese stand, and a leather vest encrusted with more pins and patches than a punk rocker’s denim jacket in 1984.

She wasn't just driving the scooter. She was cruising.

Her right hand rested casually on the throttle, while her left held a half-eaten jalapeƱo cheddar empanada. As she rounded the corner past the organic microgreens, a hidden Bluetooth speaker mounted under the seat blasted a tinny, distorted loop of the organ Toccatas and Fugue in D Minor.

BOMP-BOMP-BOMP-BOMP…

"Coming in hot, moisture farmers!" she roared, her voice like two gravel trucks passing each other in a tunnel.

A man in a Patagonia fleece and $300 trail shoes leaped backward into a stack of zucchini, barely saving his oat-milk latte. The grandma didn't even blink. She banked hard to the left—tires squeaking slightly on the damp asphalt—and cut off an entire family of four with the kind of ruthless spatial awareness usually reserved for Roman chariot racers.

I stood frozen by the heirloom tomatoes, my mouth slightly open.

She braked abruptly in front of the organic garlic vendor, the speaker abruptly cutting off mid-note with a loud POP. Pushing her aviators down her nose, she surveyed the table of purple gladiator garlic with the intensity of a general reviewing enemy troop movements.

"Is this the German Hardneck, or are you trying to pass off that weak-ass Chinese import on me again, Todd?" she demanded, pointing an acrylic-tipped fingernail at the terrified twenty-something behind the table.

Todd swallowed hard. "It’s... it’s local, Mrs. Murphy. Grown right down the road in Dexter."

"It better be," she muttered, snatching three bulbs and tossing them carelessly into the lap of the taxidermied owl. "Charge it to my tab. My hips are acting up and I don't feel like fishing for my coin purse."

She threw the scooter into reverse—beep, beep, beep went the safety alarm, totally ruining the gothic ambiance—and spun the rig around. That was when her eyes locked onto mine.

For a fraction of a second, I felt like a gazelle caught in the headlights of a hearse. Then, she gave me a slow, conspiratorial wink, revved the motor, and launched herself toward the artisanal soap tent like a bat out of hell.

I looked down at my canvas tote bag. I looked at the six-dollar lavender honey.

And right there, beside the organic tomatoes, I had a profound, paradigm-shifting epiphany: I have been doing aging all wrong.

***

My name is Gary Hosten. For the past twenty-two years, I have been a middle-management logistics coordinator for an industrial fastener distributor. My life has been governed by a strict adherence to three core principles: lowering cholesterol, avoiding drafts, and not making a fuss.

I drive a beige sedan. I wear sensible walking shoes with orthopedic arch support that cost more than my first used car. My idea of cutting loose is ordering the medium salsa instead of the mild at Chili’s, and even then, I usually regret it by 2:00 AM.

For the last five years, my wife, Brenda, and I have been slowly sliding down the slippery slope of respectable elderhood. We talk about property taxes with alarming frequency. We watch documentaries about British railway systems on Sunday nights. Our retirement portfolio is diversified, conservative, and entirely focused on preserving capital so we can eventually afford a two-bedroom unit in a "life care community" where the highlight of the week is Wednesday bingo.

I looked back toward the microgreens tent. Mrs. Murphy was currently performing a high-speed donut around a guy selling hemp t-shirts, laughing like a villain in a Bond film.

Irresponsibly.

The word echoed in my brain. We spend our entire youth trying to be responsible so we can survive adulthood, and then we spend our entire adulthood being responsible so we can survive retirement. At what point are we allowed to just tear the steering wheel off the dashboard and drive straight into a swamp of our own design?

Brenda appeared at my elbow, holding a clamshell of expensive strawberries. "Gary? Are you okay? You look pale. Did you take your blood pressure pill this morning?"

"Brenda," I said, my voice dropping an octave. "Who is that woman?"

Brenda squinted through her bifocals at the distant cloud of green fog. "Oh. That’s Aphra Murphy. She lives down on Elm Street. Used to run a taxidermy shop and a pool hall. The city council has tried to condemn her front lawn three times because she keeps a life-sized pirate ship made of recycled corrugated metal where her hydrangeas used to be."

"She’s magnificent," I breathed.

"She’s a menace," Brenda corrected, though a tiny, suppressed twitch at the corner of her mouth betrayed her. "She drove her golf cart through the front window of the dry cleaners in 2018 because they shrunk her bowling sweater."

A bowling sweater.

"We’re moving to Elm Street," I announced.

"Don’t be ridiculous, Gary. The houses don’t have double-paned windows."

I didn't answer. I had seen the Promised Land, and it smelled of ozone, two-stroke engine oil, and unbridled, chaos-driven liberation.

***

The transformation didn't happen overnight, but once the seed of anarchy was planted in my sensible soil, it grew like Japanese knotweed through a suburban driveway.

It started on Tuesday. I went to the hardware store—not for the usual boxes of stainless-steel wood screws or weather-stripping, but for the automotive aisle. I spent forty-five minutes inspecting cans of spray paint. I bypassed the "Almond Bisque" and the "Classic Eggshell."

I walked out with three cans of Matte Black Void and one can of Neon Nuclear Acid Green.

Brenda caught me in the garage that evening, standing over our lawnmower with a roll of duct tape and a severed head from one of our Halloween decorations—a plastic skull that used to light up red and say "WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM" when trick-or-treaters walked by.

"Gary," Brenda said, leaning against the doorframe with a mug of decaf chamomile. "What are you doing to the Toro Super Recycler?"

"It lacks attitude, Brenda," I said, carefully zip-tying the plastic skull to the front handle bars. "A man shouldn't push a machine that looks like it belongs on a brochure for a dental HMO."

"Are you having a mid-life crisis? Because you’re sixty-four, Gary. It’s a bit late for a red sports car, and frankly, we can’t afford the insurance on a Harley."

"This isn't a crisis, Brenda. This is a renaissance."

I fired up the lawnmower. With the skull now zip-tied to the front, catching the evening breeze and rattling ominously against the metal deck, it looked less like a lawn-maintenance tool and more like an instrument of post-apocalyptic lawn genocide. I proceeded to mow our Kentucky bluegrass with a ferocity and zigzag pattern that left the neighbors whispering behind their sheer curtains.

When I finished, I didn't wipe down the blades. I left the grass clippings clinging to the side like battle scars.

Step two was wardrobe.

For thirty years, my uniform consisted of pleated khaki Dockers, tucked-in polo shirts in various shades of corporate pastel, and braided leather belts. On Thursday, I walked into a thrift store downtown—the kind that smells faintly of mothballs and lost dreams—and emerged with a floor-length trench coat made of faux crocodile skin, a pair of aviator sunglasses with purple lenses, and a bowling shirt from the 1974 Midwest Regional Tournament that featured the embroidered name ‘SNOOT’ over the left pocket.

I put it all on in the front hallway. I looked in the mirror.

Gone was Gary Hosten, logistics coordinator. In his place stood a man who looked like he used to be the road manager for an unsuccessful, mid-tier 1980s heavy metal cover band, but had since retired to run an illegal reptile sanctuary out of a double-wide trailer.

Brenda walked past me, paused, looked me up and down from my orthopedic New Balance sneakers to my crocodile-skin coat, and sighed.

"If the police call," she said evenly, "I am telling them I haven't seen you since Tuesday."

"That's the spirit," I winked.

***

The true test of my new ethos came on Saturday morning at the Oak Creek Farmers Market.

I didn't take the car. I took the lawnmower—or rather, I had modified our old John Deere D105 riding mower by removing the mulch bag, bolting a milk crate to the back, and rigging a portable Bluetooth speaker to the steering column with a heavy-duty bungee cord.

I rolled up to the market at 8:30 AM sharp.

The morning air was crisp. The sun was just clearing the roofs of the downtown brick storefronts. I was wearing the SNOOT bowling shirt, the crocodile-skin trench coat flapping dramatically behind me in the exhaust fumes, and my purple aviators.

As I turned the corner onto Maple Street, I hit play on my phone.

Instead of Bach, I went full historical-ironic menace: The Ride of the Valkyries, cranked to maximum volume through a speaker meant for a backyard pool party.

DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA…

The market was already bustling. People turned, blinking in absolute disbelief as a sixty-four-year-old man riding a John Deere lawnmower with a screaming plastic skull strapped to the hood rumbled down the pedestrian walkway at a reckless four miles per hour.

I didn't look at the tomatoes. I didn't look at the artisanal honey.

I headed straight for the epicenter of local bourgeois conformity: the organic, free-range, heritage-breed egg stand run by a millennial named Caleb who wore a handlebar mustache and talked endlessly about soil microbiology.

I cut the engine. The music died abruptly.

Caleb stared at me, a carton of thirty-dollar pastured eggs hovering between his hands like a sacred relic.

"Mornin', Caleb," I said, my voice dropping into what I hoped was a gravelly, Clint Eastwood-esque register. "I hear rumors your Rhode Island Reds are laying weak shells. I need a dozen of your finest, and if they crack before I get them home to my subterranean lair, there’ll be hell to pay."

Caleb’s mustache twitched. He looked at my crocodile coat. He looked at the skull on the mower. He looked at the milk crate strapped to the back, which currently contained a single half-empty bottle of generic ginger ale and a bag of off-brand potato chips.

"Uh," Caleb stammered. "Cash or Venmo, Mr.—?"

"Snoot," I said, sliding a five-dollar bill across the wooden table. "Keep the change, kid. Buy yourself a razor."

I grabbed the eggs, tucked them securely into the milk crate next to the ginger ale, and fired the John Deere back up.

That was when I saw her.

Aphra Murphy was parked near the artisanal cheese tent, holding court with a group of terrified-looking town council members. She was leaning forward on her haunted-house mobility scooter, her taxidermied owl glaring balefully at the zoning commissioner while her Bluetooth speaker looped the monster mash.

She saw me.

She didn't run. She didn't call security.

Instead, she slowly lowered her mirrored aviators, tilted her head, and gave me a single, respectful nod of supreme approval.

It was the greatest moment of my life.

I nodded back, revved the lawnmower until the belt squealed, and executed a three-point turn that clipped a display of hand-thrown pottery. A small ceramic mug tumbled off the edge and shattered on the concrete.

I didn't look back. I just accelerated into the morning fog, the skull grinning its plastic death-grin at the terrified masses, feeling lighter, freer, and more gloriously unhinged than I had in forty years.

When I pulled into our driveway ten minutes later, Brenda was standing on the front porch with her arms crossed, watching me kill the engine with a dramatic cough of unburned gasoline.

"You broke a coffee mug, didn't you?" she asked.

"It was structurally unsound," I said, stepping off the mower and adjusting my crocodile coat. "And furthermore, Brenda, I’m thinking we paint the front lawn gravel neon pink and turn the garage into a reptile rescue."

Brenda looked at me for a long, silent moment. The wind rustled the maples. Somewhere down the street, a dog barked.

She uncrossed her arms, let out a slow breath, and a small, dangerous smile touched her lips.

"Do we need a permit for the iguanas?" she asked.

"Only if we get caught," I grinned.

And for the first time in my life, I couldn't wait for Monday.

Comments

Popular Posts