The Committee of Concerned Abnormals
My name is Milo Jackson, and I live with three sentient
alarm clocks who have zero respect for personal boundaries, door etiquette, or
the concept of sleeping past five-thirty in the morning.
To be fair, they keep me alive. But they also treat my
pancreas like a malfunctioning vending machine that occasionally requires
aggressive physical maintenance.
Take this morning, for instance.
It was 6:15 AM. The sky outside my bedroom window had that
bruised, purple-gray look of a Monday that knew it was unwanted. I was deep in
a magnificent dream where I was the chief ambassador of a planet made entirely
of warm sourdough bread, and I was currently negotiating a trade treaty with a
giant, majestic badger.
Then came the assault.
Micah hit my chest first. Micah is a ninety-pound golden
retriever whose brain consists of seventy percent joyful static electricity and
thirty percent raw, unadulterated devotion. He does not gently wake a sleeping
person. He launches himself from the foot of the bed like a furry missile, four
paws landing squarely on my solar plexus with the concussive force of a small
meteorite.
"Oof!" I wheezed, the sourdough ambassador
vanishing into thin air as the wind was violently expelled from my lungs.
Before I could even gasp for air, Brenda chimed in. Brenda
is my girlfriend. She does not jump on people. She prefers a more
psychological, vocal form of alerting.
"Milo!" Brenda shrieked, bolting upright in bed
and throwing off the duvet as if the mattress were on fire. "Your face
looks gray! Are you sweating? Why are you sweating? Did you eat a rogue
carbohydrate? Look at me! Are you speaking in tongues? Blink twice if you know
who the Prime Minister is!"
"Brenda," I croaked, pinned beneath the
golden-furred anvil of Micah, who was now vigorously licking my chin with a
tongue the size of a wet washcloth. "I was just... dreaming... about
bread..."
"Nonsense!" Brenda declared, leaping out of bed
with the speed of an Olympic sprinter. "You’re crashing. I can smell the
impending doom on your breath. It smells like... like failure and low
glycogen!"
And then, weaving desperately through the chaos at floor
level, came Caoimhe.
Caoimhe is a tiny, three-legged calico cat whom we adopted
from a shelter that clearly specialized in assembling creatures from spare
parts. Caoimhe has one orange ear, a tail shaped like a question mark, and a
sixth sense for glucose drops that rivals a laboratory spectrometer. Because
she lacks a fourth leg, she cannot jump on me like Micah, nor can she yell at
me like Brenda. Instead, Caoimhe deploys her secret weapon: the Figure-Eight of
Doom.
She began violently winding herself around my ankles,
weaving through my legs with such velocity that she created a localized
whirlpool of calico fur. Mrow! Hiss! Purr-yowl! It sounded
like a bag of angry bagpipes being dragged across a hardwood floor.
"Micah, get off. Brenda, stop shining your phone
flashlight into my retina. Caoimhe, you are wrapping my left foot so tightly I
think it’s going to detach," I groaned, trying to untangle myself from the
triple threat.
"Don't talk, patient," Brenda commanded, already
halfway across the room. "The Committee has spoken. The Committee is never
wrong."
The Committee, as Brenda liked to call them, had a 100%
success rate. Which was the infuriating part. I couldn't even be mad at them,
because as I finally shoved Micah aside and sat up, I felt it: that familiar,
hollow, shivering void behind my ribs. My hands were shaking. My brain felt
like it was wrapped in wet cotton wool.
My blood sugar was plummeting through the floorboards.
"Okay, okay," I muttered, rubbing my eyes.
"You win. The pancreas has officially resigned."
"I knew it!" Brenda crowed, triumphantly rushing
back to the bed holding a juice box like it was the Holy Grail. "Micah,
good boy! Caoimhe, stop vibrating, you're going to short-circuit!"
Caoimhe gave one final, indignant mew and
hopped up onto the nightstand, glaring at me with the judgmental intensity of a
Victorian ghost. Micah rested his massive chin heavily on my knee, panting
happily as if he had just single-handedly solved world hunger. Brenda shoved a
straw into the juice box and forced it between my lips.
"Drink," she ordered. "Before you start
speaking French again."
I drank. The sweet, synthetic apple juice hit my tongue, and
slowly, agonizingly, the world came back into focus.
"Well," I sighed, wiping a drop of juice from my
chin. "At least we have a routine."
The Science of Chaos
To understand our household, you have to understand that
type 1 diabetes is basically a full-time job that you never applied for, didn't
want, and cannot quit. But adding Micah, Brenda, and Caoimhe to the mix turned
it into a reality television show produced by people on hallucinogenic substancestwqerqwy.
We adopted Micah two years ago from a service dog washout
program. Officially, he failed his final exams because he was too easily
distracted by squirrels and once stole a hot dog out of a child's hand at a
farmer's market. Unofficially, he possessed a nose so sensitive he could
probably smell what you ate for breakfast three days ago. When I brought him
home, he spent the first week aggressively sniffing my pockets. By month two,
he had figured out the scent profile of my adrenaline and cortisol spikes when
my blood sugar dipped below seventy.
Brenda, on the other hand, didn't need a nose. She just
needed to look at me. After three years together, she could spot a low blood
sugar from across a crowded room. If my eyes went slightly out of focus, or if
I started arguing too passionately about the geopolitical structure of The
Lord of the Rings, she would immediately narrow her eyes, cross her arms,
and demand to see my continuous glucose monitor.
And Caoimhe... well, Caoimhe defied all known laws of feline
behavior. Cats are notoriously aloof, but Caoimhe viewed me not as her owner,
but as a walking, talking glucose bag that occasionally required supervision.
"So," Brenda said later that morning, leaning
against the kitchen counter while I poured a heavily caffeinated cup of coffee.
"What did we learn today?"
"That Micah needs to lose ten pounds because his ribs
still hurt?" I suggested.
"We learned that your basal rates are off," Brenda
corrected, ignoring my physical suffering. "And that you skipped your
afternoon snack yesterday."
"I was busy!"
"You're always busy, Milo. You work in accounting. The
most dangerous thing that happens to you is a paper cut or a mildly aggressive
spreadsheet."
Right on cue, Micah trotted into the kitchen, sat down
squarely on my bare foot, and let out a long, pathetic sigh that suggested he
was starving to death and had never, in the history of the universe, been fed a
single crumb of food.
"He's manipulating you," I told Brenda, pointing a
teaspoon at the golden retriever.
"He's a hero," Brenda countered, tossing Micah a
small piece of cheese. Micah caught it mid-air with the precision of a
professional baseball outfielder. "Unlike someone who refuses to carry
glucose tablets in his jacket pocket like a responsible adult."
"They melt, Brenda! They turn into a sticky, disgusting
paste that fuses to the lining of my coat. I reached into my pocket last
Tuesday and pulled out a pocketful of chalky goo. It looked like a crime
scene."
Caoimhe strutted into the kitchen then, her three-legged
gait giving her a jaunty, pirate-like swagger. She hopped up onto the barstool
next to me, patted my arm once with a soft, clawless paw, and then began
aggressively grooming her question-mark tail.
"See?" Brenda smiled. "Even the cat thinks
you're being difficult."
I opened my mouth to defend myself, but my phone buzzed on
the counter. It was a calendar reminder: 10:00 AM – Quarterly Budget
Review with Director Chambers.
Director Chambers was a man who looked like he had been
carved out of a block of petrified oak and possessed the warmth of an iceberg.
He hated errors. He hated delays. And above all, he hated it when people looked
confused.
"Wish me luck," I muttered, grabbing my laptop.
"I'm heading into the lion's den."
"Do you have juice?" Brenda asked, narrowing her
eyes.
"Yes, Mom."
"Do you have your meter?"
"Yes, Mom."
"Does Micah look ready to launch himself through a Zoom
call if necessary?"
At the mention of his name, Micah pricked up his ears and
let out a sharp woof.
"I'm sure that won't be necessary," I said,
praying to whatever gods watched over corporate accountants.
I was wrong, of course. I was catastrophically wrong.
The Zoom Incident
The quarterly budget review started off swimmingly. Chambers
was droning on about Q3 expenditures, and I was nodding along, making appropriate
murmuring noises while secretly monitoring my Dexcom graph on the corner of my
laptop screen.
Line was flat. Green. Beautiful.
115 mg/dL. Perfect.
Then, Chambers asked a dangerous question. "Milo, can
you explain the discrepancy in the travel expenses account?"
I opened my mouth to speak. Big mistake.
Whenever I talk, my brain consumes glucose. Usually, it's
fine. But today, unbeknownst to me, my pancreas decided to throw a surprise
party and dump a massive amount of insulin into my system just to watch the
world burn.
Suddenly, my vision blurred at the edges. A cold sweat broke
out across the back of my neck. My heart began to hammer against my ribs like a
trapped bird.
Oh, no, I thought, staring at Chambers’s face,
which suddenly appeared to be melting slightly like a Salvador DalĂ
painting. Not now. Not during travel expenses.
"Well, Chambers," I began, my voice sounding
strangely far away. "The... the discrepancy... it’s actually quite...
um..."
On the other side of my home office door, I heard a muffled
scuffle.
Scritch-scratch-thump.
That was Micah.
Then, a frantic whisper in the hallway. "Shh! Micah,
stay! Don't go in there—wait, is he crashing? Is he doing the thing?" That
was Brenda.
And finally, a high-pitched, piercing YOWOWOW! accompanied
by the sound of a calico cat throwing herself bodily against the wooden door
frame. Caoimhe had initiated Level Red.
"Milo?" Chambers’s voice crackled through my
laptop speakers, sounding irritated. "Did you say something about a
discrepancy?"
"I... um..." I stammered, my fingers fumbling
blindly for the drawer where I kept my emergency Skittles.
Suddenly, the office door flew open with a tremendous crash.
Micah didn't just walk in; he invaded. He came barreling
across the room, past the bookshelf, and straight toward my desk. Before I
could react, the ninety-pound golden retriever launched himself upward, placing
both massive paws directly onto my chest while I was sitting in my ergonomic
office chair.
My chair rolled backward at terminal velocity, slamming into
the wall with a hollow thud.
"Micah!" I gasped, the air leaving my lungs in a
dramatic wheeze.
At the exact same moment, Brenda burst through the door,
weaponized Tupperware container in hand. "I KNEW IT!" she bellowed at
the top of her lungs, sprinting across the room as if she were rescuing me from
a burning building. "HE'S CRASHING! CHAMBERS, CAN YOU HEAR ME? HIS BLOOD
SUGAR IS FIFTY-TWO!"
And trailing in their wake, moving at lightning speed on
three legs, came Caoimhe. She leapt from the floor to the base of my chair,
scrambled up my pant leg like a tiny, furry mountaineer, and planted herself
squarely on my lap, letting out a shriek that sounded remarkably like a smoke
detector with a dying battery.
For three agonizing seconds, absolute silence reigned in my
office.
On the laptop screen, Director Chambers froze mid-sentence.
His mouth was open in a small, round O. He was staring through his
webcam at the following tableau:
Me, pinned against the wall in a rolling office chair; a
massive golden retriever standing on my chest with his tongue hanging out; my
girlfriend standing over me brandishing a container of glucose tabs like
smelling salts; and a one-eyed calico cat howling like a banshee while perched
on my crotch.
Chambers slowly blinked.
"Milo," Chambers said, his voice entirely devoid
of inflection. "Are you... being attacked by wildlife?"
My brain was running at about four percent capacity, but
survival instincts kicked in. I reached out, grabbed a glucose tab from Brenda’s
outstretched hand, popped it into my mouth, and gave Chambers a weak,
breathless thumbs-up.
"Service... animals, Chambers," I wheezed.
"They're... union mandated."
Chambers stared at the screen for another long, excruciating
moment. Then, very slowly, he closed his notebook.
"Let's... circle back to travel expenses on
Thursday," Chambers said softly. "Take care of your zoo, Milo."
The screen went black. The call disconnected.
The Aftermath
An hour later, my blood sugar had stabilized, the adrenaline
had faded from my bloodstream, and I was sitting on the living room sofa
feeling like I had just survived a minor train wreck.
Micah was asleep with his head on my foot, snoring softly,
completely unapologetic for nearly fracturing my sternum. Brenda was sitting
across from me on the coffee table, eating a piece of toast and looking
extremely pleased with herself. And Caoimhe was curled up in a tight, purring
ball right under my chin, occasionally reaching out a paw to pat my nose as if
to check if I was still breathing.
"Well," Brenda said brightly. "That could
have gone worse."
"He thinks I live in a petting zoo," I groaned,
staring up at the ceiling. "I'm never going to make partner. Chambers is
going to replace me with an AI bot that doesn't require emergency feline
intervention."
"Nonsense," Brenda scoffed. "An AI bot
wouldn't have saved your life. You'd be in a diabetic coma right now, probably
dreaming about sourdough bread again."
"It was a very good dream," I muttered.
"There was a badger."
Brenda laughed, leaning over to kiss my forehead.
"You're lucky to have us, Milo Jackson."
I looked down at the golden furnace warming my feet, the
purring engine curled under my chin, and the chaotic, wonderful woman sitting
across from me who kept a container of glucose tabs closer to her heart than
her own car keys.
My pancreas might be a traitor, and my household might
operate on the structural integrity of a circus tent, but as Micah let out a
contented sigh in his sleep, I couldn't really argue.
"Yeah," I smiled, wrapping my arms around Caoimhe
and scratching Micah behind the ears. "I really am."
Comments
Post a Comment