The Fluidity of the Frame

The classroom smelled of damp wool and dry-erase markers—a scent that, to me, always felt like a countdown clock. I stood at the threshold, watching my students filter in. They were a microcosm of the modern age: labels stuck to their chests like inventory stickers. Athlete. Artist. Activist. Gifted. At-risk.

I looked at them, and I saw a museum of statues. It terrified me.

“Find your seats,” I said, my voice cutting through the hum of gossip. “And for the love of everything, put your phones away.”

My name is Reuben Price. If you asked the school board, the registrar, or the union rep, they would use a noun to describe me: Teacher. To them, that is what I am. A stationary object in a room full of desks. A fixed point in a rigid curriculum. But if I am a teacher, then I am finished. I am a completed work. And if I am a completed work, I am dead.

I walked to the whiteboard and picked up a marker. I didn’t write a lesson plan. I didn't write the day’s learning objective. Instead, I wrote a single, jagged line of text: I AM NOT A NOUN.

The room went quiet.

“Today,” I said, pacing the front of the room, “we are going to talk about why you are all failing.”

A hand shot up. It was Holmes, the varsity captain, a boy whose entire identity was draped in the heavy, suffocating fabric of his jersey. “Failing at what, Mr. Price? My GPA is a 3.8.”

“That’s the exact brand of imprisonment I’m talking about, Holmes,” I said, stopping in front of his desk. “You think because you are an ‘athlete,’ you are limited to the movements of a game. You think because your GPA is a number, you are a calculator. You’ve labeled yourselves into a cage, and you’re wondering why the air feels thin.”

I wasn’t just teaching literature anymore. I was conducting a rescue mission.

***

The trouble began in the third period. It wasn’t a disciplinary issue in the traditional sense; it was an existential one.

A student named Tessa had been spiraling. She was the ‘valedictorian-in-waiting,’ a girl who lived her life as if she were carrying a glass sculpture of her own future. She didn’t talk; she performed. She didn’t walk; she navigated. She was so terrified of being anything other than the ‘perfect student’ that she had stopped moving altogether.

During a discussion on The Picture of Dorian Gray, Tessa broke. Not a scream, not a sob, but a complete, hollow collapse. She sat at her desk, staring at her hands, and whispered, “If I’m not the best, what am I? If I don’t get into that school, who am I?”

The air in the room grew heavy. This was the moment. The system relies on labels to keep things predictable. It wants students to be nouns because nouns are easy to grade, easy to rank, and easy to replace.

“Tessa,” I said, stepping away from the podium. “You are currently breathing. You are questioning. You are existing. Those are verbs. They are actions. They move. You aren’t a thing to be achieved. You are a process to be experienced.”

Then, the alarms went off.

It wasn't a fire drill. It was the district security alert—a lockdown protocol triggered by a phantom threat in the hallway. I didn’t need to look at the monitor to know what was happening. I heard the scuffle, the heavy rhythmic thud of boots, and the metallic clack of the door locks engaging.

“Get away from the windows,” I commanded, my voice dropping into a register that brook no argument.

My heart didn't race because I was ‘a teacher.’ My heart raced because I was a human being responding to a stimulus. Adrenaline flooded my system—not as a state of being, but as a motor for action.

“Mr. Price, what do we do?” Holmes asked, his voice cracking. The athlete was gone. Now, there was only a scared boy.

“We don’t ‘be’ anything,” I said, moving to the supply closet. “We act. We prepare. We protect.”

I pulled a heavy, solid-oak shelf away from the wall. It was a brutal, physical movement, a stark contrast to the intellectual posturing of the earlier hour. I found the emergency kit, the heavy-duty zip ties, and the barricade reinforcements I’d spent months secretly installing.

Outside, the hallway exploded into chaos.

***

The situation was not what the training videos in the teacher’s lounge predicted. There were no polite intruders. There was a desperate, chaotic surge of people running from something down the corridor—a group of individuals who had been pushed into their own ‘nouns’ until they felt they had nothing left to lose.

I looked at my students. They were paralyzed. They were waiting for permission to exist, waiting for a noun to define their path.

“You,” I pointed to Holmes. “Move the desks. Don’t think, just move. You, Tessa, grab the heavy cloth from the supply box. We’re covering the door glass. Move!”

For the first time all year, they weren’t students. They weren’t varsity captains or valedictorians. They were people moving through space, reacting to gravity and momentum. They were verbs.

I heard the door handle rattle. A heavy shoulder slammed against the wood. The frame groaned.

I didn’t reach for a ‘teacher’s’ resource. I reached for the heavy iron fire extinguisher mounted on the wall. I held it with both hands, my stance wide, my muscles coiled.

I felt no fear, only a strange, crystalline clarity. Wilde was right. If I had spent my life deciding I was ‘a teacher,’ I would have stood there, waiting to be saved, waiting for the ‘authorities’ to arrive and provide the script. But because I had refused to be a noun—because I was just a man who did things, who responded, who adapted—I was capable of anything.

The door burst open.

A figure stumbled in—disheveled, panicked, holding an object that looked like a weapon but was merely a heavy pipe. He didn’t know what he was doing because he had pinned himself to a noun: The Oppressed. He was acting out a role in a script he hadn't written.

I didn’t talk to him. I didn’t try to reason with him. I intervened.

I moved with a speed that startled me. I swept the leg, redirected the momentum of his arm, and tackled him toward the floor. It was a messy, ugly, necessary performance of physics. Holmes jumped in, grabbing the arms, not as a jock, but as a person assisting. Tessa threw the heavy cloth over the man’s face, not as a student, but as an individual neutralizing a threat.

It was over in ten seconds.

We sat on the floor, breathing hard, in the center of a barricade of desks. The man was tied up with the zip ties. He was crying, the label of ‘intruder’ already beginning to settle over him like a shroud.

“Is he... is he a criminal?” Tessa asked, her voice trembling.

“He is a man who made a choice,” I said, wiping a smear of dust from my forehead. “Whether he stays a criminal depends on what he does the moment he wakes up tomorrow. Whether you stay a ‘student’ depends on how you walk out of this room.”

***

When the police finally kicked the door down, they didn’t see a classroom. They saw a scene that didn't fit their paperwork. They saw desks rearranged into a fortress. They saw an intruder bound with zip ties. They saw a group of teenagers who didn’t look like children anymore.

The lead officer looked at me. His badge identified him as Officer. His uniform identified him as Law Enforcement. His face was set in the rigid lines of a man who had decided exactly what he was.

“Who are you?” he asked, looking at me.

I looked at my students. Holmes was helping someone stand. Tessa was holding a water bottle, handing it to a girl who was shaking. They were all in motion. They were all verbs.

“I’m the person who kept them alive,” I said.

“What’s your title?” he pressed, reaching for his notebook.

I looked at the whiteboard, where the words I AM NOT A NOUN were still visible, though smeared by the chaos.

“I’m just someone who is going to keep doing things,” I replied.

***

Months later, the school returned to its rhythm. The ‘incident’ was analyzed, filed, and processed. I was given an award for ‘Exemplary Conduct as an Educator.’

I took the plaque and threw it in the recycling bin on my way to the car.

I don't go to the school anymore. Teaching was a noun—a box I had outgrown. I am currently building houses for the displaced. I am writing a book about the geometry of movement. I am learning to pilot a small boat.

I see Holmes and Tessa occasionally, though not in the halls. Holmes is no longer an athlete; he’s a carpenter who reads philosophy. Tessa is no longer a valedictorian; she’s a botanist who plays the drums.

They, too, realized the secret. To be a noun is to be buried alive. To be a verb is to be immortal, because a verb never stops. You are not what you are. You are what you do, and what you do is always changing.

I am not Reuben Price. I am the man who continues, the one who initiates, the one who transforms.

And tomorrow?

Tomorrow, I’ll decide what I do next. And that is the only freedom that matters.

 

Comments

Popular Posts