Untrained but Undaunted


The Owner's Diary — Sabrina, 34, Freelance Copywriter

May 3 — "Whoops."

The leash was still in the box when I walked out to the post office. I told myself, It's only a jog — just a quick sprint to the mailbox and back, no big deal. I did not, in that moment, account for the fact that Gordo had spent the entire morning watching the mail truck through the front window with the fixed, unblinking intensity of a man watching a parole hearing, and that four months into adopting him I still had not learned that anything Gordo watched that closely was, by definition, a threat he intended to neutralize personally.

I never imagined I'd be sprinting after the mail truck instead of toward it. The neighbors called it "the flash of fur and chaos" — I heard that phrase secondhand, from Mr. Albrecht two doors down, who delivered it with the relish of a man who'd been waiting his whole adult life to use it in a sentence. Gordo cleared the porch steps like he'd trained for hurdles. He cleared the Whitmans' flowerbed like he hadn't. He caught the mail truck at the next intersection, where the mailman — to his enormous credit — simply stopped, put the truck in park, and waited with the weary patience of a man who had clearly met dogs like Gordo before, possibly on this very route.

I hung the leash up the second we got home, swore never to repeat the mistake, and — like a good copywriter — decided to write the story down for future reference, mostly because I suspected that someday, possibly very soon, I was going to need a record of exactly how this all started.

May 10 — "The Great Sofa Incident."

I thought I'd finally gotten a handle on this whole "adult dog" thing. I had a neat ritual by now: coffee, work, a quick walk, more work, dinner, a walk that was supposed to tire him out enough that the evening passed without incident. It had been working, more or less, for almost a week, which in Gordo Standard Time counted as a stable and lasting peace.

In the middle of a conference call — my biggest client of the quarter, naturally, because the universe has a sense of humor and no sense of mercy — I heard a thunderous crunch from the living room, the specific splintering sound of furniture losing a structural argument it didn't know it was having. "No," I whispered, muting myself a half-second too late, as a piece of the living-room couch — once a prized Victorian heirloom that had belonged to my grandmother and had survived two house moves, a flood, and my entire childhood — tumbled onto the floor, splintered into bite-sized chunks, with Gordo standing over the wreckage looking, if I'm being honest, almost proud of the engineering involved.

My client heard the crash on the line. "Is that... a dog?" they asked, in the careful tone of someone deciding whether to be alarmed.

"No," I answered, staring at the ruins of eighty years of family furniture history. "It's my life."

May 12 — "The Toilet Paparazzi."

The bathroom door was ajar. I opened it to find Gordo perched on the edge of the toilet — not beside it, not near it, on it, balanced with an improbable, gymnastic confidence — his tail wagging like a flag run up a pole for some kind of victory I hadn't agreed to.

"What are you doing, boy?" I asked, and for a moment we both just looked at each other, and I realized he wasn't in the toilet, he was on it, perched there with the regal air of a creature auditioning for the canine version of a Disney princess movie, fully expecting applause. He'd learned, somewhere in the murky days before I'd adopted him, that the porcelain throne was a surface that could be claimed, and that claiming surfaces was, generally speaking, a satisfying way to spend an afternoon. He had never been taught proper bathroom etiquette, and so, in the grand tradition of self-made rulers everywhere, he had simply reclaimed the throne in the absence of any treaty telling him not to.

I took a picture before I made him get down. I'm not proud of that. I'm also not deleting it.

May 15 — "The Mortgage Meeting."

I was meeting with the mortgage broker — a serious, soft-spoken man named Hendricks who wore a tie even on a Saturday and had, up to this point, formed the impression that I was a responsible adult capable of managing both my finances and my household. Gordo, on a leash I'd clipped to the fence but forgotten to actually anchor to anything load-bearing, decided the backyard fence was less a boundary than an open portal to the Great Outdoors, a kind of invitation he'd been too polite to accept until exactly this moment.

With a sprint that would have impressed a greyhound and a vertical leap that, frankly, impressed me, he vaulted the fence, squeezed through a gap by the gate post I hadn't realized existed, and launched himself directly into Mrs. Halloran's rose garden next door, painting the white picket fence with a frenzy of mud and flying leaves while Hendricks watched through the kitchen window with an expression I can only describe as the face of a man recalculating someone's credit risk in real time.

The broker stared at me, bewildered, paperwork forgotten in his hand, while Gordo trotted back through the gap a few minutes later, tail held high, visibly proud of what he clearly considered an improvement to the fence's design.

We did not get the rate I was hoping for. I have decided not to connect those two facts out loud to anyone, including myself.

In short: the foundational puppy lessons — house-training, leash discipline, social etiquette — are the scaffolding of any adult canine's life. Without them, a dog is a tornado with fur, and I'm the human who built the wind tunnel and then acted surprised when it produced weather. I figure I'll write a guide.

Maybe I'll call it Adult Dogs Who Skipped Kindergarten. I already have the cover photo. It's the toilet one.

Gordo's Inner Monologue — First-Person Canine Perspective

If you're reading this, congratulations. You've successfully understood that I'm not merely a four-legged bundle of chaos; I'm a philosopher in a shaggy coat, navigating a world that expects me to sit when I feel the need to run, and to leave things alone when every fiber of my being insists they were placed there specifically for me to investigate.

Chapter 1: "The Great Bite"

I was only twelve weeks old when my mom — I mean, the human, Sabrina, though at the time I hadn't sorted out yet which noises were her name and which were just sounds she made when she was unhappy with me — sat me down on the carpet and held a stick while saying a word that sounded like "Sit." I looked at her. I looked at the stick. I did not sit, because nobody had explained to me yet that "Sit" was a word and not just a sound humans made the way thunder is a sound the sky makes, with no particular request attached to it.

The world, as far as I could tell at twelve weeks old, was simply full of things that were not dangerous, and the job of a young dog was to find out which things those were as quickly as possible. The vacuum cleaner roars louder than a thunderstorm, and yet nothing bad has ever actually come out of it — I have checked, repeatedly, from a safe distance, usually from underneath a table where I become, for tactical purposes, a sort of low and unobtrusive mushroom. So why would a stick be any different? Why would a couch cushion be any different? Why would an empty cardboard box, soft at the corners and faintly smelling of the crackers it once contained, not be considered top-tier in the great and largely unwritten taxonomy of Chew Toy?

Nobody had given me that taxonomy. I want to be clear about that, for the record, in case any future puppies are reading this and wondering where it all went wrong for me. My mother forgot to teach me "no eating the couch," and in the absence of a rule, I built my own: a pillow is soft, and a pillow is good to chew. The couch, upon close inspection, was also soft. Therefore, by the only logic available to me at the time, the couch was also good to chew. This is not a flaw in my reasoning. This is what happens when you hand a creature a syllogism and no supervision.

The only thing that slowed me down, eventually, was the day Mom started pulling grocery bags from the kitchen in a kind of low-grade panic and draping them over the couch like a tarp over a crime scene, weighing the edges down with whatever heavy objects were nearby. Those bags were crinkly and strange-smelling and held together by a tape that did not yield the way the couch fabric had. I hadn't yet learned that what counts as a chew toy isn't always about what's covered in tape. I have since revised this theory considerably. The tape, it turns out, was the entire point.

Chapter 2: "The Bathroom Debacle"

You ever watch a human in the bathroom? They always look concerned in there, like the room itself is interrogating them. They rub soap on their hands, flush the water, and stare down at the porcelain chalice like it's some kind of portal to their soul, or at least to their schedule. Naturally, I wanted in on whatever this was.

When they turned their backs — and humans, I've found, always eventually turn their backs, it's one of their most reliable qualities — I climbed up. Zap, and there I was, perched on the rim with my tail going like a victory flag, because as far as I understood the room, the porcelain chalice wasn't a fixture for human use only. It was a stage. And I, a featured performer in a production nobody had bothered to cast me in, felt I had every right to leave my mark on the next act.

I want to be fair to myself here: nobody had ever sat me down and explained that this particular surface was off-limits, the way nobody explains to a poet that a blank page is not, strictly speaking, an invitation. I am not a dog who simply lives inside a house, unremarked-upon, asking for nothing. I am an artist who expresses himself through the available canvas of humanity's plumbing. If they had taught me, early and clearly, that "outside" was the place where this particular kind of art was meant to happen, I suspect my artistry would have converged rather more smoothly with their expectations, and a great deal of shouting could have been avoided on both our parts.

Chapter 3: "Fence-Jumps and Backyard Expeditions"

My humans put a four-foot fence around a patch of grass and seemed to consider the matter settled. I considered it an invitation. On the other side of that fence: birds, going about their unbothered business as though I weren't watching them with the focused intensity of a general studying a map; a rabbit that hopped in short, maddening bursts just out of reach; a squirrel that tossed acorns down at me from a low branch with what I can only describe as open contempt. And one day, my human left the gate slightly ajar.

My internal equations began spinning the moment I saw the gap. If the gate is open, then the world beyond the gate is open. If the world is open, then it is my obligation, as a dog of some ambition, to explore it. If I explore it, the humans will notice my bravery, and bravery, in my experience, is generally followed by treats. These were not formulas I'd been taught. Nobody had ever sat me down with a chart and explained the concept of a command called "Stay." To me, "Stay" was a sound with no shape, a word that arrived without instructions, and the closest thing I had to a working definition of it was a vague, uncomfortable sense of restriction — something to be wriggled out of with a bark or a tail wag the moment an opportunity presented itself.

So when the gate shifted forward those few fateful centimeters, my reflex took over entirely: THRUST. I clambered over the top rail, thought briefly and gloriously of freedom, and landed — somewhat less gloriously — in Mrs. Halloran's garden next door. The daisies were soft enough for what I'd call delicatessen-grade chewing. The roses were not, as it turns out, meant to be chewed at all; they were, I understand now, sentimental punctuation in someone else's much longer and more careful poem, one she'd apparently been working on for years. Like all great poets occasionally do, I misplaced a line — I believe the intended word was "daisy," and what I delivered instead was several mouthfuls of "rosebush." My human's expression when she came to collect me, all mortified apology and frantic hand gestures, told me plainly that the poem I'd contributed to that garden would not be the one getting crowned.

Chapter 4: "The Great 'WOOF'"

When strangers appear at the edge of my territory, the humans say "Hello," easy as anything, as though a stranger arriving at the door is simply a pleasant fact of life rather than a five-alarm event requiring my full and immediate attention. My instinct says something closer to GUARD, and I have never been taught the finer points of etiquette that explain why polite, measured barking is acceptable while my own enthusiastic, sustained, room-rattling alarm is apparently not. I bark at the mailman. I bark at the delivery driver, who I am fairly sure recognizes me by now and times his sprint to the porch accordingly. I bark at the neighbor's cat, who watches all of this from an upstairs windowsill with the bored, unblinking superiority of a creature who has never once had to defend a yard in her life. Maybe what I'm really trying to say, underneath all the noise, is something simpler: I am here. I am present. I will defend the sanctity of the front yard, whether or not the front yard has asked me to.

With proper training — the "Sit," the "Leave it," the long list of melodies I have not yet learned to play — those noises might become something closer to music instead of an alarm. I don't have that melody yet. My howl, for now, is a call: a call for attention, a call for some acknowledgment of my independence, a call that says I have noticed the world moving and feel strongly that someone should know. My human shakes her head and tells visitors, with a kind of exhausted affection, "He's a big boy," as though that explains anything, while upstairs the cat knocks playfully at the window glass, perfectly secure in a peace I have never once been offered. I'm caught, most days, somewhere between the "Stay" that never properly arrived in my education and the universe's apparent demand that my scent be marked upon everything that moves through it.

Epilogue: "Untrained but Undaunted"

What's the moral of this narrative? Possibly none. My human may eventually enroll me in a class called Canine Manners, which sounds, frankly, like something out of a finishing-school brochure for dogs with more refined backgrounds than mine. I'll learn to sit when asked, to stay when commanded, and maybe even — though I make no promises — to leave the toilet seat upright and the porcelain chalice strictly to its intended use. Until then, I'll continue as the master of an unstructured existence: squeezing through doorways I was clearly not meant to fit through, chewing theory into chewable logic, and turning every backyard fence into a personal launchpad whether or not anyone has signed off on the flight plan.

The next time my human writes about "the great couch incident" in that little notebook she thinks I don't know about, I'll just nod, raise an eyebrow — well, if I had eyebrows, which I don't, but the sentiment is there — and wait for the snack that follows. It usually follows. That, if nothing else, is a pattern I have mastered completely.

After all, if I've learned nothing else in this house, I've mastered the art of making an impression. Literally, if you count the smell.

— G.

Dr. Molson, DVM — Professional Perspective

Case Review — Gordo "The Untrained"

I have practiced small-animal medicine for nineteen years, and in that time I have developed a private rule about case files: the ones I remember most clearly are never the ones with the most dramatic diagnosis. They're the ones with the most avoidable one. Gordo's file, which now runs to several pages longer than it had any business being for a dog with no underlying medical condition whatsoever, is a textbook example of the second kind.

Species: Canis familiaris

Age: 3 years (adult)

Breed: Mixed (medium build, lean and athletic, 45 lb — Sabrina's intake form lists his breed as "nutty," which I have left in the chart verbatim, because after meeting him I found I had no professional grounds to dispute it)

Presenting Issues:

— Aggressive chewing of household furnishings (couch, shoes, decorative items, one mortgage broker's leather portfolio, by report)

— Inappropriate elimination — indoor urination, occasional loose stool

— Escape behavior — fence-climbing, garden incursions next door

— Persistent barking at passers-by, culminating in two informal noise complaints from neighbors, neither of which, as far as I can tell, has yet escalated to anything official

1. Behavioral History

Gordo was adopted by Sabrina at roughly age two and a half, with no documented history of structured puppy socialization prior to that point. The intake interview suggested an early life heavy on what Sabrina described as "vibes" and light on anything resembling a curriculum — plenty of affection, very little consistency, and no positive-reinforcement training of any kind until well after the critical developmental windows had closed.

This matters more than most new owners realize. The socialization window, roughly seven to twelve weeks of age, is when a puppy's brain is most receptive to learning that new people, animals, sounds, and surfaces are not inherently threatening. The impulse-control window that follows, from about twelve to sixteen weeks, is when a young dog is most able to learn that waiting is sometimes more rewarding than acting immediately on an impulse. Gordo missed both. By the time anyone began working with him in earnest, he had already spent the better part of two years operating on the founding principle that everything in the world was novel, and that everything novel was therefore worth investigating immediately and with his whole body. It is, in its own way, a coherent worldview. It is simply not one that coexists peacefully with furniture, fences, or mortgage brokers.

2. Physical Examination

Musculoskeletal: No injuries noted on palpation; mild, asymmetric muscle development in the hindquarters consistent with frequent jumping, and slight wear on the left fore-limb consistent with repeated fence-scaling.

Dental: Moderate tartar accumulation. The chewing, whatever its costs to the household budget, has at least provided some incidental abrasive stimulation — cold comfort to the owner, I'm sure, but worth noting for the chart.

Gastrointestinal: Within normal limits; owner reports occasional soft stool following what she refers to in her notes as "garden forays," most likely attributable to ingestion of foreign plant material, possibly including, by Mrs. Halloran's account, a not-insignificant quantity of rosebush.

Dermatologic: Minor patch of alopecia along the right flank, consistent with friction against fencing during repeated escape attempts. Otherwise unremarkable. Coat in good condition; clearly well-fed and well-loved, whatever else might be said about the household's structure.

3. Diagnosis

Canine Compulsive-adjacent behavior, secondary to chronic lack of structured outlets — not a true compulsive disorder in the clinical sense, but functionally similar in presentation: repetitive, high-intensity behaviors (chewing, escaping, barking) performed in the absence of any redirection toward a more acceptable outlet.

Poor impulse control consistent with a missed developmental window, presenting as continuous, undifferentiated pursuit of high-stimulus events — the mail truck, the rose garden, the open gate, the unguarded couch cushion, all treated with roughly equal urgency, because nothing has ever taught Gordo to sort his impulses by priority.

Excess behavioral output relative to available structured activity — not a weight problem, despite Sabrina's joking reference to it as "behavioral obesity" in our intake call, but a genuine mismatch between Gordo's considerable energy and the almost total absence of a framework for spending it constructively.

4. Treatment Plan

Immediate Structured Training

Foundational skills: "Sit," "Stay," "Leave it," "Potty outside," delivered through positive reinforcement — clicker plus high-value treats — for thirty minutes daily, three times per week, for a minimum of eight weeks. I have referred Sabrina to a trainer rather than attempting to coach this myself from the exam room, because behavior modification of this scope genuinely benefits from someone who can be present in the home and the yard, not just in a fifteen-minute appointment slot.

Environmental Management

Secure all exits and remove leashes and harnesses from easy reach so they cannot be grabbed mid-crisis without a plan attached. Bitter Apple spray on previously chewed furniture, applied consistently rather than once and forgotten. A taller, gap-free fence section near the known escape point, since the existing gap has, by this point, functioned essentially as a second gate.

Mental Enrichment

Food-dispensing puzzle toys, twice daily, to give Gordo's considerable problem-solving energy somewhere legitimate to go. Daily structured walks, ideally including some scent work, since a dog who is mentally tired tends to be a dog who has slightly less enthusiasm left over for redesigning the neighbor's fence line.

5. Prognosis

If the owner commits to a consistent training schedule, Gordo's behavior can improve considerably, and in my experience with cases like his, it usually does — these are not damaged dogs, simply undereducated ones. The first six months are the critical window for intervention; after that point, the unwanted behaviors tend to become considerably more entrenched, simply through sheer repetition, and harder, though never impossible, to retrain.

Bottom line, and I say this to every owner who sits across from me looking faintly guilty about a fully grown dog with no foundational training: puppies are built with a kind of neurological elasticity that makes early learning relatively quick. Adults can absolutely still learn — Gordo is living, barking, fence-climbing proof of that — but it takes longer, requires more consistency, and asks more patience of everyone involved. Skipping the foundational curriculum doesn't make the lessons disappear. It only delays them, and adds interest. Gordo is, in the kindest possible sense, a textbook case: compelling, comical, and — once someone finally sat down and taught him the material — profoundly instructive.

Mrs. Halloran, Neighbor — A Hipster Perspective on Canine Chaos

When the New York Times ran a piece on "The Rise of Untrained Adult Dogs," I laughed out loud over my morning matcha. I'm a yoga instructor. I brew my own kombucha in the pantry, in jars I've named, and I genuinely believe that energy flow matters more, in the long run, than boundary walls. My yard — a small, hard-won oasis of lavender, rosemary, and a koi pond I dug myself over one extremely sore-backed weekend — had never once been a casualty of anyone's "energy" until Gordo arrived next door.

Day 1: I was meditating at sunrise, palms open to the sky, inhaling the sweetness of a morning that had, up to that point, been going beautifully. A thud. A splash of muddy paws. The still surface of my koi pond, three years in the careful making, took an unscheduled and extremely localized weather event directly to its center. Gordo was standing in the middle of it shaking his whole body out, a small waterfall of pond water and silt arcing off him in every direction, while my koi regarded him from the depths with what I can only describe as bewildered, deeply offended awe. I whispered, "Namaste," because what else was there to say, and went to go find my homemade fertilizer to repair what I assumed was about to be a flattened lavender bed.

Day 2: He bounded over the fence like a Broadway understudy finally getting his big number, all enthusiasm and zero choreography. The roses, which I had tended for three years with the kind of patient devotion most people reserve for relationships, took an unexpected and thorough gust of roaring chew. A single thistle survived, standing alone in the bed like a small, prickly act of protest against the whole event.

I thought — and I want it on the record that I thought this in good faith — that perhaps his unrefined energy could simply be channeled rather than corrected. I tried a "dog yoga" class with him in my own backyard, on a borrowed mat, candles lit, incense going. Downward Dog became, almost immediately, Actual Dog: straight back, ears scattered to the wind, tail held aloft like a flag of a nation he'd just invented. The squirrels in the oak tree clapped, metaphorically, by which I mean they chattered with what sounded suspiciously like mockery. My phone clicked away, taking photos I have not yet had the heart to delete. But Gordo made no spiritual progress whatsoever beyond what I'd call a profound and immediate "Houston, we have a problem": he sniffed the incense with great interest, considered it for a long moment, and then bombed the entire yoga mat with a full-body drop that ended the session decisively. "He needs a grounded routine," I muttered to no one, brushing dog hair off a mat that would need a thorough wash, "not an aerial one."

It's one thing to have a dog who can't wait politely for a treat — he is, in some cosmic sense, his own treat, full of an enthusiasm that's genuinely sweet in small doses. It's another thing entirely when his untrained instincts trample your sanctuary on a weekly basis. There's a particular sharp, unmistakable scent that drifts over the fence some mornings after Gordo's had what I can only call a "leak," because he hasn't yet been taught the difference between outside-that's-his-and-outside-that's-mine, and it does sting, in more ways than one. I tried Reiki on him once, hands hovering gently over his flank, breathing slow and intentional. He sneezed directly into my calming energy, turning what was meant to be a healing moment into something closer to a small, damp foghorn.

In the quiet evenings, after the koi have settled and the roses have been apologized to, I find there's a dramatic little lesson humming underneath all of this: if we gardeners invite a seed into the bed without knowing how it intends to spread, we have no one to blame but ourselves when the harvest comes in wild. That's Gordo. That's also, if I'm honest, every dog who's ever crossed my fence line before someone got around to teaching them otherwise.

My remedy, going forward, is a daily fifteen-minute "theater," conducted on my own back patio, where Gordo and I run through whatever training responses Sabrina's been working on, performed for an audience of one cup of jasmine tea. The audience that actually shows up, more often than not, is the cat from next door, who watches the whole proceeding from the fence rail with the bearing of an eternal and deeply unimpressed critic. As funny as it sounds, the drama is real to me. By the time you read this, Gordo will have completed his first reliable "Sit" — or he will have nibbled my favorite rosemary down to a stub yet again. Either outcome, at this point, I've decided to file under art.

Whiskers — The Cat's Eyebrows (So to Speak)

I spend most of my day perched on the highest bookshelf, a position I selected for its excellent sightlines and its near-total inaccessibility to anything with paws the size of dinner plates, observing the Homo sapiens of this household stumble through their lives below me with what I have come to understand is their natural and apparently permanent state of mild confusion. The canine — the "dog," as the humans call him, Gordo, as if a name could contain him — drags his mishaps through my home as if they were tokens in some game called How Many Ways Can We Squander a Perfectly Good Afternoon of Non-Negotiable Quiet.

It began, as these things do, with the water bowl. He knocked it over within his first week here, and a miniature ocean rippled its way across the kitchen tile while I leapt, with the unhurried grace I am known for, onto the safety of the rug, a statue of feline composure observing the disaster from a dignified distance. His tongue, meanwhile, simply whaled away at the spreading puddle, slurping with absolutely no concern for technique, the way a creature drinks when no one has ever once explained to it that there is a correct way to do this and an incorrect way, and that the incorrect way involves spraying half the contents across a three-foot radius. He does not understand the phrase "no drinking from the water dish like that" because the concept, as far as I can tell, has simply never been delivered to him in any form he recognized as instruction. He slurps with no grace whatsoever — a pig lacking even the most basic dignity — and my ears twitch reflexively at the slam of his paws across the kitchen tile whenever he goes thundering after some perceived emergency, scattering pots, knocking over the kibble canister, sending dry food skittering across the floor like confetti thrown at a wedding nobody invited me to.

The humans, in their well-meaning way, speak constantly in phrases like "good boy" and "what did you do?" — but I have never once heard them sit him down and explain, clearly and specifically, how to be a good dog, as opposed to simply praising or scolding him after the fact and hoping the lesson arrives by osmosis. It does not arrive by osmosis. I could have told them that for free. He raids the bathroom. He perches, audaciously, on the porcelain throne that even I, a creature with considerably more claim to thrones in general, have never once attempted to use as a perch. He sniffs at the doorway to my litter box — the dark, private void of my own personal sanctum — and on one unforgettable occasion let out a yowl into the tiled hallway that I can only describe as a kind of howling wind given a body. My owners watched, faces frozen in horror, as the house became, yet again, a stage for his entirely improvised drama.

I made my own attempt at social engineering, early on, before I fully understood the scope of what I was dealing with. I laid down a careful trail of catnip from the living room rug all the way to the back door, reasoning that even an untrained creature could be guided by scent toward a more appropriate exit strategy. He followed the trail beautifully — right up until the back door, and then straight past it, through the gap in the fence, into the neighbor's garden, and from there, on his triumphant return, directly into my freshly cleaned laundry pile that had been sitting in a basket by the hallway. The clothing, once pristine and faintly scented with lavender detergent, now possessed the unmistakable, mighty aroma of wet, gardened dog. The hair along my spine stood up like a small electrical field simply from being in the same room as the basket afterward.

My owner — the humorous human, the one who laughs at things that are not, strictly speaking, funny — has since set up formal training sessions with an outside professional. She holds a small plastic device that produces a click, a sound that, to any sensible creature, ought to signal the imminent arrival of something wonderful, the way a particular cupboard door signals the elusive promise of a mouse-shaped treat to me. Gordo, for the first several sessions, did not seem to connect that click to anything at all. He simply wagged his tail and stared at the hand that had made the noise, the exact way I myself stare at the hand of a human who has just returned from outside carrying something that smells faintly of bird.

There is, I'll admit, an undercurrent of real drama running through all of this. Every time Gordo fails to sit on command, the humans make a small collective noise of frustration, not quite a scream, but adjacent to one. My owner — in what I took to be a rare moment of clarity — announced to the room at large, "We need a professional," and shortly afterward, money changed hands, and a professional did indeed arrive. That professional, I gathered from my perch, would whisper commands, reward compliance with food, and shape this entire chaotic creature the way a sculptor shapes wet clay. This pleases me more than I expected, mostly because it means the humans will be spending money on a problem they created, rather than on, say, a new and improved litter box, which had been my own preferred use of household funds. As a feline — a species that, by simple nature, already commands a baseline level of respect that dogs apparently have to be taught from scratch — I can detect the particular tremor in a human's voice that signals genuine fear, the unmistakable need for control finally outweighing the desire to simply hope a problem resolves itself. It appears they are also destined, eventually, to see this thing through properly.

My advice, for whatever it's worth to anyone reading the account of a cat who has chosen, deliberately, to observe rather than intervene: keep the high ground, observe the chaos from a safe and elevated distance, and let the humans sort out what they should have sorted out months ago. The dog, in the end, is little more than a mirror held up to the humans' own neglect. If they had simply placed a foundation under him from the start — a basic curriculum covering chewing, house-training, and leash manners, the sort of thing any reasonably attentive household manages without incident — the mirrored drama now playing out nightly in this living room would be considerably less dramatic, and I would have considerably more uninterrupted time on my bookshelf.

The Dog Trainer — Mona, "The Canine Coach"

Client: Sabrina (owner), Gordo (four-year-old mixed breed)

Goal: Establish foundational obedience; reduce destructive behaviors.

I get a version of this call at least twice a month, and it always starts the same way — an owner on the phone sounding equal parts apologetic and exhausted, describing a dog who is, in their words, "not bad, just... a lot." Gordo, when I finally met him in person, was exactly that: not bad. A lot.

Initial Assessment (Session 1)

When I arrived at the house, Gordo greeted me with four enthusiastic lunges in rapid succession, his nose pressed flat against my thigh on the fourth one, his tail spinning in a full, continuous 360-degree rotation that I can only describe as a metronome that had given up on keeping time and decided to simply vibrate with joy instead. His entire body language screamed I am ready to work, which would have been wonderful news if it hadn't been delivered from inside a tight, uncontrolled vortex of excitement that made actually beginning any work functionally impossible for the first several minutes.

Sabrina explained, with the particular weariness of someone who has rehearsed this explanation in her head many times before finally saying it out loud to a stranger, that Gordo had never been taught "Sit," "Stay," or "Come," and had never once experienced a structured leash walk that didn't end in either of them being towed somewhere neither had planned to go. My assessment, after watching the two of them together for twenty minutes, confirmed what I'd already suspected from the phone call: Gordo's entire behavioral repertoire consisted of primordial instinct — chew, bark, flee, investigate, repeat — almost entirely unmodulated by any human-coded expectation of how a dog in a house is generally meant to behave. This isn't a character flaw. It's simply what happens to any intelligent, energetic animal who reaches adulthood with no curriculum. He was, in the kindest sense, fluent in dog and entirely unschooled in household.

Training Philosophy

I build every program around the same core pillars, regardless of the dog's age, because the foundation doesn't change just because the dog in front of me happens to be four years old instead of four months. Focus, first — simple eye contact, rewarded the moment it happens, so the dog learns that checking in with the human is worth doing. Impulse control next — "Leave it," "Wait," the small, unglamorous skills that quietly underlie almost everything else. Leash etiquette — "Heel," loose-leash walking, taught as a conversation rather than a tug-of-war. House rules — "Place," meaning go to a designated bed and settle there, and "Go outside," meaning exactly what it sounds like and nothing more poetic than that. Gradual desensitization to the specific things that had been setting Gordo off — doors, fences, the bathroom fixtures that had apparently become a personal stage. And underneath all of it, positive reinforcement: a clicker, paired with genuinely high-value treats, cooked chicken breast and duck jerky, because asking a dog to give up the thrill of a squirrel chase for a dry, sad little biscuit is not a fair trade, and any trainer who tells you otherwise hasn't tried it from the dog's side of the leash.

Session Breakdown

Week 1 — Focus and "Sit." Exercise: "Watch me." Click the instant Gordo makes eye contact, then reward immediately, before he has time to look away again. Result: by roughly the twelfth repetition, something shifted — his head tilted in that particular way dogs do when a new idea is arriving, a look that genuinely could have melted steel, and by the end of that same session, he'd achieved his first full, reliable "Sit" on command. Sabrina cried a little. I did not tell her that most owners do.

Week 2 — "Leave It" and "Place." Exercise: hold a tasty treat under a closed fist. Click and reward the moment Gordo sniffs but doesn't try to bite or paw at it. Progress: by the third day, he was leaving the treat voluntarily, glancing up at me instead, which is a genuinely huge win for impulse control in a dog who, two weeks earlier, would have gone through a closed door to get to that same treat. We extended the lesson to "Place" — a designated dog bed in the corner of the living room — and within days he would go there on command and wait, visibly proud of himself each time, for release.

Week 3 — Loose-Leash Walks. Gordo's natural mode of movement, left to his own devices, is something closer to a spastic sprint than a walk. An e-collar was never on the table — that's not a tool I use, full stop, and frankly the idea of strapping one onto a dog whose entire problem was a lack of clear communication struck me as exactly backward. I used a front-clip harness instead, paired with a short, coiled leash — short enough to prevent real pulling, long enough that he still had some choice in his own movement. Method: click for calm walking beside me, take a step forward, repeat, patiently, for as long as it took. Initially, he broke away after about three steps every time, usually in pursuit of a passing squirrel he seemed to take personally. After thirty minutes of steady repetition, he was staying within two feet of my side for the full length of the session.

Week 4 — "Come" and "Stay." For "Come," working inside the fenced yard, I tossed a toy, called "Come" the instant he turned toward me, and clicked as soon as he made a directed run back in my direction rather than a wandering one. After three sessions, his reliable recall distance had stretched to thirty feet, which, for a dog who'd previously treated his own name as a polite suggestion, felt like enormous progress. For "Stay," I used a mat and a simple hand signal, palm out, rewarding every successful five-second stay with a click. After five days of practice, he could hold a stay for a full forty-five seconds while Sabrina walked completely away from him and back, something that would have been unthinkable a month earlier.

Behavioral "Fixes"

For the chewing, I introduced Kong toys stuffed with peanut butter, which gave Gordo a legitimate, sanctioned outlet for the urge that had previously been aimed at the couch. He'll work on a stuffed Kong for a solid twenty minutes at a stretch, fully absorbed, which not coincidentally is about twenty minutes the couch now gets to spend unmolested. For bathroom etiquette, we re-trained from the ground up with timed outside breaks — five minutes after meals, five minutes after play, and again before bedtime — until Gordo began nose-peeking at the back door and sitting to wait for it, at which point we clicked and rewarded the compliance immediately, every single time, so the pattern would actually stick. For the barking at passersby, I introduced a "Quiet" command paired with a clear hand signal: when Gordo barked, I'd give the signal, wait for the half-second pause that inevitably comes even in an enthusiastic barker, and click the instant the sound stopped.

Outcome (After 6 Weeks)

No new couch damage; the old damage remains, by mutual agreement, a kind of historical artifact rather than an ongoing project. Leash walks now run a full thirty minutes without Gordo lunging at every leaf, squirrel, or suspiciously rustling bush along the route. House-training has held at zero indoor accidents for a full week running. Barking has dropped by roughly seventy percent, measured with a sound-meter app Sabrina downloaded specifically to track it, which I consider an excellent sign of how seriously she's taken all of this. And Sabrina's own stress level has visibly decreased — she reported, almost shyly, that she'd slept through an entire night recently without what she calls "the Dog-Screams," meaning the particular two a.m. commotion that used to follow Gordo discovering some new and exciting crisis in the dark.

Final Thoughts

The adult dog is a blank canvas if he's never been painted with foundational lessons, and Gordo's chaotic early chapters were, in the end, simply a comedy of errors waiting for a curriculum to arrive and resolve them. The dramatic tension in a story like his is always the same: the clash between untrained instinct and the very reasonable expectations of the household he lives in. And the resolution, every time, is the same as well — not a miracle, not a single dramatic breakthrough, but the quiet, accumulating triumph of consistent, kind methods applied patiently over weeks rather than days. That, dear readers, is the real punchline buried under all the chewed furniture and the toilet photographs: an untrained adult dog isn't a crisis. He's just a dog waiting, sometimes for years longer than he should have to, for someone to finally teach him the language of respect and routine.

Epilogue — The Living Room (Third-Person Observer)

The living room had seen more, by now, than most apartments see in a lifetime. It had been a soft throne for Gordo's teeth, a stage for his most dramatic entrances, a couch turned into an accidental architectural lesson in load-bearing fabric. Now, after weeks of training, the same couch bore a different and far quieter kind of wear: the faint, pressed outline near its base of a dog bed that had taken up permanent residence beside it, a snug little square of fleece that no longer belonged to the sofa's old chaos but to Gordo's new and genuinely cherished habit of "Place."

Sabrina walked in one rainy Tuesday afternoon, a steaming mug cupped in both hands, and found Gordo lying exactly where he was supposed to be, stretched out across his mattress with his tail thumping a slow, lazy rhythm against the floor at the sight of her. She thought, standing in the doorway for a moment before crossing the room, of all the dramatic chapters that had led to this unremarkable, peaceful one — the thrown shoe, the toilet incident immortalized now in a photo she still hadn't deleted, the fence-jump that had cost her, by her own private calculation, at least a quarter point on her mortgage rate — and she smiled, the particular smile of someone who has earned the right to find her own disasters funny in retrospect.

A single click sounded faintly from the hallway, from the little recorder Mona had left behind to track training sessions between visits — click — a small, ordinary sound that had become, somewhere along the way, a kind of punctuation mark for the whole household, a reminder that even the most chaotic of characters can, eventually, learn to follow a script, if someone's patient enough to write one with him.

In the corner, Whiskers peered down from the bookshelf, tail giving one slow, unmistakable flick of feline approval — the closest thing to praise she had ever offered anyone in this house, dog or human. Next door, Mrs. Halloran was out tending her rosemary in the last of the afternoon light, humming some tune that seemed altogether too calm for a woman who had once hosted an impromptu dog-yoga class that ended in spiritual and literal collapse. And across town, in her office between appointments, Dr. Molson's phone rang with a new client on the line, a voice she recognized instantly as belonging to someone standing exactly where Sabrina had stood months earlier: "I think my dog needs," the caller said, with the particular blend of love and exhaustion that always preceded this exact sentence, "a foundation."

Gordo lifted his head at the far-off, distant bark of another untrained pup somewhere across the street, his ears perking with old, familiar interest. For a moment it looked, almost, like the early Gordo might resurface — the one who answered every distant bark with several of his own, the one who would have been across the yard and over the fence before anyone could call his name. Instead, he simply gave one soft, contented woof of acknowledgment, settled his chin back down on his paws, and stayed exactly where he was, on his own bed, in his own corner of a living room that had finally, after a great deal of trial and at least one rose garden's worth of error, become his.

And somewhere on the coffee table, the clicker lay quiet for the moment, small and metallic and unassuming, but powerful in the way that small, consistent things often are — a reminder that every story, no matter how dramatic its early chapters, tends to begin its real ending with nothing more complicated than a single, patient moment of focus.

 

Comments

Popular Posts